Bug 16223 - 'R CMD check' fails to report ... being in \arguments but not in \usage
Summary: 'R CMD check' fails to report ... being in \arguments but not in \usage
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: R
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Misc (show other bugs)
Version: R-devel (trunk)
Hardware: All All
: P5 normal
Assignee: R-core
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-02-26 01:30 UTC by Hervé Pagès
Modified: 2015-02-26 01:30 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments
R CMD check toto_1.0.tar.gz reproduces the issue (5.32 KB, application/gzip)
2015-02-26 01:30 UTC, Hervé Pagès
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Hervé Pagès 2015-02-26 01:30:06 UTC
Created attachment 1747 [details]
R CMD check toto_1.0.tar.gz reproduces the issue

[Sorry for reporting this bug again but my original bug report (https://bugs.r-project.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=16153) was closed (NOT REPRODUCIBLE) before I was given a chance to provide a reproducible example (I did provide a reproducible example after the bug was already closed but the system would only let me change the status to RESOLVED or VERIFIED so I didn't change it). 8 days have passed now, and it looks unlikely that someone will re-open the issue. So here it is again.]

In the context of refactoring a function, some arguments might be added, dropped, and/or renamed. 'R CMD check' has always been a great tool to help keep the documentation in sync with the code after this type of change. I just ran into the following glitch though: documented arguments that are not in \usage are usually detected but it seems that ... is not.

Running 'R CMD check toto_1.0.tar.gz' (package attached) reproduces the issue. The toto() function (defined in the package) has only 1 arg:

  > args(toto)
  function (x) 
  NULL

In the man page for the toto() function, I've added entries for non-existing
args 'y' and '...':

  \arguments{
    \item{x}{}
    \item{y}{}
    \item{...}{}
  }

but 'R CMD check toto_1.0.tar.gz' only complains about 'y' not being in
\usage:

  * checking Rd \usage sections ... WARNING
  Documented arguments not in \usage in documentation object 'toto':
    ‘y’

It says nothing about '...' not being in \usage.

Thanks,
H.