Create a new script and save it at a location other than the user's documents folder. The save dialog appearing when clicking "Save As" will by default show the documents folder. The user inconveniently has to navigate to the desired location again, e.g. in case the file was originally saved with an incorrect name.
It used to do that (the folder was sticky). But it was changed deliberately fairly recently -- Duncan Murdoch will be able to explain why.
Actually this appears to have been introduced in
ripley 05/11/2008 1:44:56 PM
lots of changes to the handling of filenames (e.g. moves to Unicode)
I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I didn't do it.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Actually this appears to have been introduced in
> ripley 05/11/2008 1:44:56 PM
> lots of changes to the handling of filenames (e.g. moves to Unicode)
> I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I didn't do it.
Heh, thanks for the reply! Things just seem to happen sometimes. I am not sure in which way the folder is sticky, so I may not get the replies right, but I think I did (i.e. the behaviour described has been - perhaps intentionally, changed since).
Anyhow, I should have upgraded before reporting but as I have R installations on a multitude of PC's and this behaviour seemed to nag me on each, I thought it would be a good guess to be lazy in that regard.
Now I have installed RGui 3.0.1 side-by-side with 2.15.1 (I hope one does not affect the other). If the change/fix is so recent that it only occurs in a snapshot build or the current is the desirable behaviour, please just ignore the following (though ripley's mentioned change does not suggest it so). Otherwise I can add that it seems to persist with 3.0.1 exactly as in the bug description. Beside that (though that can be considered a separate matter - some applications just dare to distinguish between open and save paths) after launching the GUI, and opening a script file from a custom location, clicking save as seems to similarly pop up the dialog with the documents folder again, at least here.
Albeit unlikely, the problem here could be a result of a read only file with 3.0.1 here, as I found some similar issue with a certain Skype config file yesterday.